Rural Municipality of Riverside No. 168

Although the area was surveyed and staked out by 1885, this municipality had very few residents prior to 1905, with the exception of the ranchers located along the South Saskatchewan River, the Miry Creek, or in the Sand hills.

In the early 1900’s a 160 – acre homestead could be purchased for $10.00. In order for a family to begin improving their living quarters, it was necessary for them to break at least 10 acres of land a year with three years, worth of duty required. The homesteader was to live upon this land at least six months out of each year, and had to have a shack worth $100.00 constructed during these three years.

The first homesteader to “prove up” in this municipality was Ole Gullickson on Dec.6, 1906, on the NE ¼ 9-17-16 W3rd.

In 1911, the Empress branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway was constructed through part of the district. The local farmers started a petition to have some form of local government. Later in the year, an Order-In-Council by the provincial government formed the Local Improvement District NO. 168. The district’s first official meeting was held on January 2, 1912 in Pennant, Saskatchewan. The boundaries of the original L.I.D NO. 168 have remained unchanged and are the boundaries of the RM of Riverside today.

Source – Through the Years History of Cabri and District

Pennant, Sk
Pennant is located on Highway NO. 32, about 30 miles northwest of Swift Current. It is situated in the centre of the RM of Riverside NO. 168. In 1911 the Canadian Pacific Railway began building a line from the main line west of Swift Current forming a junction point named Java, and continuing as far northwest as Empress, Alberta.

In 1912 the village was incorporated and named “Pennant,” when a surveyor found a pennant, or small flag, dropped by one of the construction workers at this site. Later when they named the streets, the main street became “Standard” meaning flag, as well as “Banner,” “Burgee” and “Ensign” all pertaining to a flag, and “Halyard” – the rope used in hoisting the flag. Other streets named in later years did not carry the flag idea.

Source – River hills to Sand hills

Tarryl Todd Drawing - Drawn for the Pennant Centennial


Home       About Us       Contact Us
Copyright © Rural Municipality of Riverside No.168 2016


Built & Maintained with iWEBMANAGER